Divisional Financial ControllerCategories: Finance & Accounting
Location: Oxford, UK
The Divisional Financial Controller will be expected to make a significant contribution to the strategic planning of the division, while creating a financial environment in which the Division can manage the competing claims on its resources. The Divisional Financial Controller will also provide visible leadership of the finance function across the Division and is the point of professional engagement for finance staff in its departments.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Lead and take ownership of the financial aspects of the Division’s strategic and academic planning, ensuring that the financial aspects of all activities are accurately reflected and their implications properly understood.
• Take ownership of the Division’s budgetary and quarterly forecasting cycles, ensuring that departments provide high quality and accurate information that complies with both the Division’s and central University’s requirements.
• Ensure that efficient, robust and consistent accounting and financial management processes and controls are in place across the Division.
• Actively manage financial risk across the Division, encompassing departments that are in surplus and seeking to expand as well as those that are at risk of being in financial deficit.
• Support Departments and the Division to identify areas of financial weakness and exploit opportunities for income generation effectively, in line with Divisional objectives and strategic priority.
• Act as an effective channel of communication between Departments, Division and Central finance ensuring that each party understands the needs and perspectives of the other and fostering an environment in which the combined resources of the parties are most effectively coordinated.
• Effective leadership and management of a team which provides support to a range of Departments. This will include the management of competing demands to ensure that resources are deployed where they are most required and maintenance of the highest quality of service delivery and customer satisfactory.
The Successful Applicant
It is critical that this individual must demonstrate the following:
- A qualified accountant with at least five years post qualification experience in a senior finance role, demonstrating technical skill and people management skill.
- Extensive experience in a complex accounting environment with proven demonstrable financial planning, budgetary control and strategic input.
- High levels of personal effectiveness, particularly co-ordination, organisation and the ability to focus on wider University commercial goals such as; perceived reputation within the University, grant generation and world institutional ranking.
- Able to manage competing and potentially conflicting demands from the Central University, Division and Departments without compromising effective working relationships.
- The ability to deal tactfully and sensitively with key issues gaining credibility quickly and effectively across the University.
- Strong financial acumen in order to operate effectively in an intellectually challenging environment.
- Will pro-actively seek to drive change and recognise both Divisional and Central needs.
- Computer literate with strong IT understanding of financial systems.
- Able to grasp detail and project accuracy when communicating across the Division.