Nurse – Doctors without BordersCategories: Healthcare & Medical
Number of posts available: 20
Location: Asansol District Hospital, Raniganj PHC, Barakar PHC & two urban PHCs, with possible visits to others primary health centres. In the event of an emergency, potentially available to work in other States within India and/or the region.
Project: Paediatric Febrile Illnesses
Purpose of Post: To provide day-to-day supervision and medical care, training and coaching to the MSF medical programme.
Functional and Hierarchical Lines
Hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Nurse Activity Manager.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- To carry out triage in the outpatients consultation- take vital signs and document
- To ensure correct nursing care of the patients and assist Doctors in the care, procedure and treatment of the patients
- To provide correct disease screening, drug dispensary, injections and nursing protocols according to prescriptions and protocols
- To attend and ensure the implementation of correct protocols concerning follow up of the patients
- To provide instant emergency treatment to emergency cases in consensus with Doctors and prescribed protocol
- Participate actively in medical rounds.
- To observe and ensure correct follow-up of patients.
- Perform rapid laboratory tests according to MSF protocols when appropriate, and interpret them.
- Record the required medical data accurately and collaborate in the reports.
- Keep proper records and ensure their safe custody.
- Respects the principles of asepsis and sterilisation.
- To respect and promote absolute confidentiality of any information related to patients.
- To contribute to the capacity building of the MoH Health staff.
- Participate in, and when required facilitate, medical/nursing training sessions, both internally and externally.
- To implement MSFs operational and administrative protocols.
- Participate and give correct health education messages to patients and their attendants, giving appropriate information about the illnesses, signs & symptoms, correct treatment, follow up and prevention.
- To respect and promote the medical ethics.
- Respects the working time.
- Work according to roster, which includes nights and weekend shifts.
Managing medicines and departmental material
- To understand, maintain and improve the MSF medical stock management systems.
- Carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover
- Noting the daily consummation and placing an order if necessary
- Sending material to be sterilised/recuperating it from sterilisation
- Informing the departmental supervisor of the various needs
- Filling out registers/data collection form as defined by the project
- Participating in data collection as assigned by supervisor
- Performing any other tasks as required by your Supervisors
- Maintains a flexible approach and responds to the needs of the project even if outside of this job description
- To assist in the assessment of humanitarian needs and emergency interventions arising in the region and if needed, showing flexibility, adaptability and commitment.